20 November 2009

A Decadent Night Out . . . well, sort of

A busy week in the studio. The intention was to complete some of the unfinished paintings I have lying around, but all that seems to have happened is that I did a completely new one - which may need some adjustments, so is added to the List of Unfinished Paintings. Then I began reworking one I'd long discarded as a failure. Still, I'm not going to run out of Things To Do for quite some time.
To reward myself for my diligence I dressed up and went to the opening of the annual CAST (Contemporary Art Services Tasmania) Members' Exhibition. Every year this exhibition gets better. There was an exciting variety of work in pretty much any medium you can imagine, and some you probably can't (Honey? Lawn clippings? Dandelion seeds?). Some were clever, some were cute, some thought-provoking and one or two just a bit too obscure for a delicate lass like me, but it all worked well together. My painting was hanging nicely at eye level, just as I'd hoped. I found some people to talk to, renewed a couple of old acquaintances, and drank one more glass of champagne and bitters than I should have. As I know from long experience only a small quantity of alcohol is enough to skew my critical faculties big time, so there's no point in trying to do anything artistic for the rest of the evening. What a good thing I've got a book to read!
Meantime, this is the painting I have in the exhibition:

Landscape with Melting Church - 61cm x 41cm
CAST Members' Exhibition - 27 Tasma St, North Hobart, Tasmania
21 November - 20 December 2009
Well worth the visit!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a fabulous painting.

    Your work is so ominous and lush at the same time.

    As though Salvador Dali and Heironymus Bosch had a love child!

    Regards,
    Algernon Misanthrope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much - what more can I say? What a concept!

    ReplyDelete